The Department of Architecture was established at BIT Mesra in the year 1993, in keeping with the multifarious scope of Architecture as the art and science of designing spaces and adding value to a meaningful, built environment. It is a subject which is a combination of faculties of engineering, science as well as arts. The programme is a balanced combination of all these streams, yet follows a unique pedagogical methodology that is its hallmark.
The underlying vision for the Department of Architecture is to make the department an academic knowledge hub that will actively contribute in the contemporary domain, by
- Providing innovative professionals who will contribute wholesomely to nation building.
- Providing individuals who can make significant contribution to the advancement of the society.
- Preparing students for leadership roles in the fields of Architecture
The mission of the Department of Architecture is to foster a student-centered educational program in architecture. The programme through its pedagogy which is heuristic and responsive to technological, cultural, and social environments, seeks to offer a diverse, interdisciplinary and rigorous curriculum that will promote personal development and professional excellence.
Studying in the Department of Architecture
Department of Architecture, BIT Mesra, a leading center for research and teaching in architecture, urban design, and sustainable design, is one of the top ranking Architecture Department in the country. The department is noted for its meticulous teaching leading to fundamental, applied research and collaboration with leading experts from practice and industry. Since its inception in 1993, the Department has made substantial contribution in national and international arena by rendering academic and professional services.
- The Department ranked 3rd among all colleges of Architecture in India as per India Today 2018 survey.
- The Department ranked 1st among all colleges of Architecture in India as per the survey of GHRDC in 2018.
- The Department ranked 4th among all colleges of Architecture in India as per the survey of TOI in 2018.
- Department has been Constantelly featuring as one of the top 10 Architecture Departments in the Country for last decades.
- The Institute has ranked 31st among the Engineering colleges in NIRF 2017.
The course structure is poised between theoretical knowledge and its practical application with ample application-based lab subjects evenly distributed throughout the syllabus. the practical orienation of working in an actual office is also taken care of in the Practical Training subject in the final year of the course.
Students also get a scope to exercise the applicability of the entire course learning in the Final Year Thesis dissemination.
Architecture students find rewarding employment in planning, design and construction industries.
Many pursue higher studies in India and abroad in City Planning, Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Construction Management - to name a few.
- The department offers a five year Bachelor of Architecture course, admission to which is in conformation with the Regulations of Council of Archiecture, India.
- The department also offers the degree of Master of Urban Planning, approved by AICTE and the Institute of Town Planners, India (ITPI).
- The Department of Architecture invites research applicationsthroughout the year and currently eight scholars are enrolled in its Ph.D. programme.
The Department has the rare feat of being the first ever academic institute of Architecture to be awarded research grants under the Department Research Support (DRS) level of the Special Assistance Programme (SAP) of the University Grants Commission (UGC).
The Department Organise STTP/Workshop at regular interval in aspects related to Architecture and Planning.
The department is also closely associated with training institutes like Sri Krishna Institute of Public Administrators (ATI), Ranchi and Government of Jharkhand. Faculty members of the department regularly visit these institutes to deliver lectures in varied subjects related to Architecture, Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Disaster Management, GIS, Steel Structure and are involved with Consultancy Projects.
For further details, contact the office of the Head of the Department :
Dr. D. J. Biswas
Professor and Head, Department of Architecture
BIT- Mesra, Ranchi, Jharkhand -835 215